Search Her kitchen and crafts

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dinner is served part 2!

I don't mean to brag but, this dinner was FREAKING delicious!!!! 
Not to mention it was really easy! 

On Sunday night seven of us feasted on pan seared steaks with a wine sauce, potatoes, green beans, and mini pumpkin pie croissants. (These were seriously amazing warmed up and paired with a little vanilla ice cream! Thanks mom for making them!)

Searing all of the steaks took a little longer than I anticipated, and I found it was easier to just cut open the meat to check its color rather than using a thermometer.

Alright onto the food. I found this recipe in The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I think I said this the last time but I really like these cookbooks! This recipe serves four so make sure you make the necessary adjustments. 

Here is what you need:

Steaks:
4 boneless beef stakes about 1 inch thick trimmed.
1 tbs vegetable oil. 
Red Wine Sauce:

1tbs vegetable oil
1 shallot minced
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 tbs butter, cut into 3 pieces and chilled
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme





Pat the steaks dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper. 


Heat 1tbs of oil in a large skillet until the oil is smoking.
 Brown the steaks on the first side for about 4 minutes. 

Flip the steaks over and continue to let them cook to the desired doneness. 

Transfer the steaks to a plate and tent with foil for 5 minutes. 


For the sauce: add the remaining vegetable oil to the pan and heat. 

Add the shallot  and cook until soft (about 2 minutes)


Stir in the broth, wine  and brown sugar. 
Make sure to stir in any brown bits in the pan, they add flavor. 
Simmer until thickened. (mine never thickened, but it was still delicious)


Stir in any meat juice from the tented plate. 
Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter one piece at a time. 
Add the thyme after removing the pan from the heat. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Pour the sauce over the steaks before serving, or once its on your plate. :D 



Alright, a friend of mine told me that my sauce wouldn't thicken with out using a stainless steel pan. Somebody try it out and let me know! 

Tomorrow I hope to conquer the bangle, which I have high hopes for! That darn make-up bag, might end up in the trashcan, and those other 2 pumpkin recipes are calling my name. However the oven is going to be pretty full over the next few days. :( 

Keep checking back! I have 8 days to complete October's goals. Hopefully I can pull this off! 


-Courtney






2 comments:

  1. Your welcome Court, and yes those mini pumpkin croissants were awesome. They were even good the next day warmed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this last night! Was quite yummy!! My sauce didn't thicken either (I was using non-stick coated pan, too). But it sure was yummy! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete