Search Her kitchen and crafts

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apple Struddel

Hey everyone welcome back. I am still working on the timing of theses posts. I need to do about 1.5 a week in order to get all of the done for the month and its proving to be a little difficult. Anyways onto the fun stuff. 

This is the second baking post of the month, and here I made apple strudel.


Here is what you'll need:
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 TBS apple cider (I used Martinelli's) 
1/4 fresh white bread crumbs (put a slice of white bread in the food processor!)
1 stick of butter
2 Golden Delicious apples peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 Mcintosh apple peeled and sliced 1/4inch thick
1/4 cup & 2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
10 sheets fillo dough

Step 1: bring the raisins and the cider to a simmer. remove from heat and let sit. 
Step 2: Toast the bread crumbs in 1 TBS butter. 
Step 3: Drain the raisins, discard any remaining liquid.  Stir in the apples, 1/4 sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and bread crumbs. 




Step 4: layer your fillo dough by laying down one sheet and brushing it with butter. Repeat nine more times. 


Step 5: Fill the fillo dough with the apple mixture. Leave enough room to fold over the sides.  
To fold your dough first fold the long sides in, then fold over the bottom. After the left, right and bottom sides are folded over. turn the envelope over its self.  (I really don't think that made sense and I can't seem to find a good how too. GOOD LUCK)


Step 6: make 1inch slits in the top. 
Step 7: Bake at 475 degrees for 15 minutes, turning it half way through. 



This strudel was good, however the apples were not very soft. Here is what I would have done differently. I did not have a brush to brush on the butter so I attempted to spoon in on causing me to use way to much butter. Lesson learned buy a brush.  I also learned to not put the pastry in a tupperware container. It turned into a huge gooey mess. I also would have sprinkled the top with powdered sugar. 
Oh one more tip. Let your fillo dough though on the counter for a few hours before trying to work with it! 





-Courtney 



No comments:

Post a Comment